Intersections are places where roads and highways come together and by the very nature that drivers are forced to change direction, they are prone to cause accidents.
Drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists all have their own methods that they follow when it comes to crossing intersections which creates complex traffic situations. In addition, some drivers make the decision to drive in a careless manner by speeding or taking illegal turns, which makes intersections even more dangerous.
If you or a loved one has been harmed in an intersection crash, it is essential that you speak with a Los Angeles intersection accident lawyer who can assist you in obtaining compensation for your injuries. Intersection crash victims may be entitled to a range of damages including medical expenses, loss of income, reduced earnings ability, pain and suffering.
You should not have to bear the burden and loss caused by an intersection accident on your own. Help is available to you.What Causes Intersection Accidents?
According to a report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are many factors that lead to intersection accidents. Some of the more common causes are:
- Crashes that occur at intersections with stop signs or traffic signals are often the result of driver inattention or illegal maneuvers.
- Right-turn intersection crashes that occur at stop signs can be attributed to a driver making false assumptions about the other driver's actions.
- Left-turn intersection collisions can result from a driver's obstructed view of the vehicles approaching the intersection or of the other driver's distance and speed.
- Male drivers are statistically more likely to cause intersection accidents as a result of speeding, making false assumptions about the other driver's actions, and illegal maneuvers.
- Female drivers are statistically more likely to cause intersection crashes due to distraction, inattention, and making false assumptions about the other driver's actions.
- Older drivers are statistically more likely to cause intersection accidents when they misjudge the speed or distance of the other driver or fail to look out for other drivers, bicyclists or pedestrians before entering the intersection.
California has some of the most dangerous roads in the United States. A recent study has found that many of the most dangerous intersections in California are clustered in and around the Los Angeles area.
The most dangerous intersection of Devonshire Street and Reseda Boulevard in Los Angeles had 108 traffic accidents alone from 2006 to 2016 according to data from Traffic Injury Mapping System.
Between 2015 and 2017, three fatal crashes occurred at the intersection where Imperial Highway meets Vista Del Mar at Playa Del Rey. It is a hot spot for intersection accidents due to the high volume of traffic. The Los Angeles Department of Transportation has even attempted to mitigate the conditions by adding additional travel lanes and angled parking areas.
Balboa Boulevard and Nordhoff Street in Northridge ranked third as a top California dangerous intersection. In 2017, a motorist died after her car rear-ended a big rig. While this crash was one of the deadliest during this period, there are actually several dangerous intersections in this area that have resulted in fatalities.Protecting the Rights of Intersection Accident Victims
Intersection vehicle accident claims can be tough to prove. It is often hard to determine whether a driver was at fault, particularly in the case of both parties entering the intersection at the same time. The insurance companies are aware of this fact and will work hard against you at every turn to attempt to lessen your compensation as a victim.
Bridgwater Law Group is well-known for our successful representation of intersection vehicle accident victims. We will collect the evidence needed, including obtaining traffic camera footage and witness testimonies, in order to prove your case.
To have a Los Angeles intersection vehicle accident lawyer examine your case, contact us today at (833) 292-8375 to schedule your free consultation.